Non-Packing Essentials That Must Be Planned In Advanced
1. Research & hire a mover 6 weeks before the big day.
2. Fill out a “change of address” form at your local post office 2-3 weeks prior.
3. Notify utility services 2 weeks prior to your move. Schedule them to turn off at your old home the day after you move, and turn on at the new home a couple of days prior to moving in.
4. Call a locksmith and arrange to have your new home locks changed on moving day.
5. Schedule a cleaning company to clean the new home and steam clean the carpets a day or two before your move date.
6. Have records transferred to new schools.
7. Change address with creditors and financial institutions.
8. Research cable, internet, and phone providers in new area and set up appointments for service installation.
9. Preorder new checks with your change of address.
10. Fill and transfer prescriptions a week before.
11. Withdraw cash for unexpected expenses during the move.
12. Properly dispose any flammable items that can’t be transported.
13. If you bank with a regional bank and you’re moving out of town, you will need to set up an account with a new bank.
14. Unplug and defrost your refrigerator 1-2 days before packing it in the truck.
15. Empty gas and oil out of your lawn mower and weed eater.
16. Back up all computers.
17. Take a family photo in your old home before leaving.
Jackie Young, Realtor/Broker
Keller Williams Realty